Operator Interface : HMI's
SoftPLC Web Studio HMI's
SoftPLC's SSH-x range of operator interfaces (HMI's) are rugged graphic operator interfaces with a high resolution touchscreen display that embed our Web Studio runtime software. Unlike proprietary hardware design HMI's, the SSH-x systems are open architecture (PC based) which gives users flexibility, expandability, and affordability. All units include ethernet, serial, and USB ports and flash memory. Shallow depth, fanless design, and industrial packaging make these HMI's suitable for a wide range of applications ranging from simple machine controls to complete SCADA systems, in industries such as packaging, utilities, HVAC, discrete manufacturing, batch/continuous processing, and many more.
We also offer "Virtual/Remote" HMI's for applications where a PanelPC may not be the best solution - click on the Headless HMIs tab below for details.
Don't see what you need? We can create customized systems. Whether you need a different screen size, hardware specification/feature (eg: temperature/NEMA rating, larger disk), or other, please contact us for a quote.
Many SSH-x HMI's are "drop-in" replacements for Allen-Bradley PanelView's. Plus, with our PanelBuilder import utility, you can upgrade an old PanelView application easily and at low cost. Find out more on our A-B HMI Migrations page.
All SSH HMIs embed the powerful SoftPLC Web Studio runtime software. Applications are developed using SoftPLC Web Studio development software, and the same application can be downloaded to any SSH HMI. Loaded with features, yet easy to use, applications can include:
- Object oriented graphic displays with customizable objects
- Extensive graphics library, or use imported files from more than 15 formats
- Data Logging & Reporting
- Real-time & Historical Trending
- Alarm & Recipe Management
- Tag database with variety of data types
- Programming via flexible scripting language, with over 100 standard functions
- Automatic language translation (Unicode supported)
Web Client Feature
In addition to the physical HMI system, the runtime application screens can be viewed simultaneously on a remote computer or mobile handheld that connects over a TCP/IP (Internet/Intranet) web link, through the built-in Client/Server architecture. Any Client screen that displays data based on Tag values will be automatically updated whenever a Tag changes value on the Server (HMI). Security and encryption of web data is supported. Three types of Web Clients are supported:
- Web Clients allow access from a common Web Browser, such as Microsoft Internet Explorer. This is useful when browsing to multiple web sites may be required, such as in a desktop environment.
- Secure Viewer Clients only allow access through a dedicated browser (included) that allows connection to a Web Studio Server, but the capability to browse to alternative web sites is not allowed. This provides additional security for plant-floor or dedicated supervisory applications.
- SMA (Studio Mobile Access) Clients allow access to view and optionally change process variables (tags) and monitor/acknowledge alarms from any browser, including PDAs, Firefox/Chrome, and web-enabled mobile phones.
A single Client session (of each type) is included with each SSH unit, additional concurrent sessions can be purchased.
Typical Hardware Features
All SSH-x HMI models include the features below. Detailed specifications by model are on the data sheets linked from the table in the Models tab, or in our store.
- High Resolution Touchscreen display*
- Bright display with wide viewing angle
- Ethernet, Serial & USB communication ports
- Removable Flash
- Fanless operation, NEMA4/IP65 front panel
- Suitable for industrial environments
- Panel Mounting (wall/tabletop/rack mount options on some models)
* except for Headless version
For applications where a PanelPC is not the best solution, we offer "Headless" HMI's (also known as Virtual HMI's), where the monitoring/control element is physically separated from the display component. Our Headless HMI's are small VESA or panel-mount embedded PC's that can reside in the control cabinet with the PLC/drives, or attach onto the back of a monitor. The Headless HMI embeds the SoftPLC Web Studio software and can be used with separate display devices or with no display at all. Provide your own display device, or we offer a variety of industrial touchscreen monitors from 7" sizes and up.
Some uses of a headless HMI are:
- Use of large, high-resolution wall mounted display(s) or TV's; such as in a control room or where multiple people need to view the display, or multiple displays are desired*
- Applications where the monitor needs to be mounted at a distance from the control cabinet
- Applications where no display is needed; such as data logging/reporting/SQL database
- Applications where a phone/tablet or other web browser interface is sufficient; such as extreme outdoor environments, remotely located systems, or where interface is for configuration/troubleshooting only
Another popular reason to use a headless HMI is the ability to purchase or replace the display separately, saving cost over purchasing a combination PanelPC unit, such as:
- Applications where the display must meet stringent environmental requirements, such as stainless-steel, wash-down (NEMA4X), hazardous or marine ratings, etc.
- Applications where a touchscreen might be frequently damaged, such as outdoor installations, vehicle mounted systems, or heavy industrial
- When an inexpensive "throw-away" non-industrial monitor + keyboard/mouse is a better solution than a touchscreen
* Models SSH-0Dx only
Display Device Options
Display devices can include:
- Monitors / Touchscreens
- Flat-screen TV's
Using Web Studio's Thin Client feature or an SSH-xL (Linux) model, display devices can also include:
- Computers / Laptops
- Smart Phones
The table below includes only the most popular standard PanelPC and Headless models. These HMI's and specifications were chosen to meet the needs of most common applications. However, most HMI models can be customized with options such as less/more memory, type/size of disk storage, other operating system(s), etc. We can also provide HMI's with more robust ratings for harsh environments, larger applications, or other specialty needs such as very large displays, tablets, etc. If you need an HMI that offers something other than what is listed, please contact us to discuss your specific application and/or needs.
Display Size Screen Resolution Operating System Catalog Number Data Sheet Store TOP 7" 640 x 480 WinCE SSH-7Cx 800 x 480 Windows Embedded SSH-7Xx Windows Pro SSH-7Wx 8" 800 x 600 WinCE SSH-8Cx Windows Embedded SSH-8Xx Windows Pro SSH-8Wx 10.1" 1280 x 800 WinCE SSH-10Cx Windows Embedded SSH-10Xx Windows Pro SSH-10Wx 12.1" 800 x 600 WinCE SSH-12Cx Windows Embedded SSH-12Xx Windows Pro SSH-12Wx 15" 1024 x 768 WinCE SSH-15Cx Windows Embedded SSH-15Xx Windows Pro SSH-15Wx 17" 1280 x 1024 WinCE SSH-17Cx Windows Embedded SSH-17Xx Windows Pro SSH-17Wx 21.5" 1920 x 1080 WinCE SSH-21Cx Windows Embedded SSH-21Xx Windows Pro SSH-21Wx Monitor Port(s) Operating System Catalog Number Data Sheet Store TOP (1) VGA/DVI-D WinCE SSH-0Cx Windows Embedded SSH-0Xx Windows Pro SSH-0Wx Linux SSH-0Lx Class 1/Div 2 RatedDVI-D/VGA Windows Embedded SSH-0ZWx Dual IndependentHDMI & DVI-D/VGA Windows Pro SSH-0DWx
- SoftPLC Web Studio HMI Data Sheet Common features of all SoftPLC Web Studio HMIs. Specific hardware specifications can be found on each Model's individual data sheet.
- SoftPLC Web Studio Data Sheet
- Current Driver/Protocol List
Demo - Evaluation Software
This evaluation version is a full working product installation that allows up to 40 hours development, and 1 hour runtime each session. A demo application is also included to show the various product features. Product documentation and a tutorial is built into the help system, and supplemental documents such as application notes and communication driver manuals are installed as part of the image.