Operator Interface : HMI's
SoftPLC Web Studio HMI's
SoftPLC's SSH-x range of operator interfaces (HMI's) are rugged graphic operator interfaces with a high resolution touchscreen display that embed our Web Studio runtime software. Unlike proprietary hardware design HMI's, the SSH-x systems are open architecture (PC based) which gives users flexibility, expandability, and affordability. All units include ethernet, serial, and USB ports and flash or SSD storage. Shallow depth, fanless design, and industrial packaging make these HMI's suitable for a wide range of applications ranging from simple machine controls to complete SCADA systems, in industries such as packaging, utilities, HVAC, discrete manufacturing, batch/continuous processing, and many more.
We also offer "Virtual/Remote" HMI's for applications where a PanelPC may not be the best solution - click on the Headless HMIs tab below for details.
Don't see what you need? We can create customized systems. Whether you need a different screen size, hardware specification/feature (eg: temperature/NEMA rating, larger disk), or other, please contact us for a quote.
Many SSH-x HMI's are "drop-in" replacements for Allen-Bradley PanelView's. Plus, with our PanelBuilder import utility, you can upgrade an old PanelView application easily and at low cost. Find out more on our A-B HMI Migrations page.
All SSH HMIs embed the powerful SoftPLC Web Studio runtime software. Applications are developed using SoftPLC Web Studio development software, and the same application can be downloaded to any SSH HMI. Loaded with features, yet easy to use, applications can include:
- Object oriented graphic displays with customizable objects
- Extensive graphics library, or use imported files from more than 15 formats
- Data Logging & Reporting
- Real-time & Historical Trending
- Alarm & Recipe Management
- Tag database with variety of data types
- Programming via flexible scripting language, with over 100 standard functions
- Automatic language translation (Unicode supported)
Web Client Feature
In addition to the physical HMI system, the runtime application screens can be viewed simultaneously on a remote computer or mobile handheld that connects over a TCP/IP (Internet/Intranet) web link, through the built-in Client/Server architecture. Any Client screen that displays data based on Tag values will be automatically updated whenever a Tag changes value on the Server (HMI). Security and encryption of web data is supported. Three types of Web Clients are supported:
- Web Clients allow access from a common Web Browser, such as Microsoft Internet Explorer. This is useful when browsing to multiple web sites may be required, such as in a desktop environment.
- Secure Viewer Clients only allow access through a dedicated browser (included) that allows connection to a Web Studio Server, but the capability to browse to alternative web sites is not allowed. This provides additional security for plant-floor or dedicated supervisory applications.
- SMA (Studio Mobile Access) Clients allow access to view and optionally change process variables (tags) and monitor/acknowledge alarms from any browser, including PDAs, Firefox/Chrome, and web-enabled mobile phones.
A single Client session (of each type) is included with each SSH unit, additional concurrent sessions can be purchased.
Typical Hardware Features
All SSH-x HMI models include the features below. Detailed specifications by model are on the data sheets linked from the table in the Models tab, or in our web store.
- High Resolution Touchscreen display*
- Bright display with wide viewing angle
- Ethernet, Serial & USB communication ports
- Fanless operation, IP66 (NEMA 4/4X) front panel
- Suitable for industrial environments
- Panel Mounting (wall/tabletop/rack mount options on some models)
* except for Headless version
For applications where a PanelPC is not the best solution, we offer "Headless" HMI's (also known as Virtual HMI's), where the monitoring/control element is physically separated from the display component. Our Headless HMI's are small VESA or panel-mount embedded PC's that can reside in the control cabinet with the PLC/drives, or attach onto the back of a monitor. The Headless HMI embeds the SoftPLC Web Studio software and can be used with separate display devices or with no display at all. Provide your own display device, or we offer a variety of industrial touchscreen monitors from 7" sizes and up.
Some uses of a headless HMI are:
- Use of large, high-resolution wall mounted display(s) or TV's; such as in a control room or where multiple people need to view the display, or multiple displays are desired*
- Applications where the monitor needs to be mounted at a distance from the control cabinet
- Applications where no display is needed; such as data logging/reporting/SQL database
- Applications where a phone/tablet or other web browser interface is sufficient; such as extreme outdoor environments, remotely located systems, or where interface is for configuration/troubleshooting only
Another popular reason to use a headless HMI is the ability to purchase or replace the display separately, saving cost over purchasing a combination PanelPC unit, such as:
- Applications where the display must meet stringent environmental requirements, such as stainless-steel, wash-down (NEMA4X), hazardous or marine ratings, etc.
- Applications where a touchscreen might be frequently damaged, such as outdoor installations, vehicle mounted systems, or heavy industrial
- When an inexpensive "throw-away" non-industrial monitor + keyboard/mouse is a better solution than a touchscreen
* Models SSH-0Dx only
Display Device Options
Display devices can include:
- Monitors / Touchscreens
- Flat-screen TV's
Using Web Studio's Thin Client feature or an SSH-xL (Linux) model, display devices can also include:
- Computers / Laptops
- Smart Phones
The table below includes only the most popular standard PanelPC and Headless models. These HMI's and specifications were chosen to meet the needs of most common applications. However, most HMI models can be customized with options such as less/more memory, type/size of disk storage, other operating system(s), etc. We can also provide HMI's with more robust ratings for harsh environments, larger applications, or other specialty needs such as very large displays, tablets, etc. If you need an HMI that offers something other than what is listed, please contact us to discuss your specific application and/or needs.
Model SelectionMost Web Studio software features are available on all HMI models. Features that are limited or not available for the Windows Compact Embedded or Embedded Standard operating system are outlined in this document.
Display Size Screen Resolution Operating System Catalog Number Data Sheet Store TOP 5.6" 640 x 480 WinCE SSHA-5Cx 7" 800 x 480 WinCE SSHA-7Cx WinEmb SSHC-7Xx 10.1" 1024 x 600 WinCE SSHA-10Cx 1280 x 800 WinEmb SSHC-10Xx 12.1" 800 x 600 WinCE SSHA-12Cx WinEmb SSHC-12Xx 15" 1024 x 768 WinEmb SSHC-15Xx WinPro SSHI-15Wx 17" 1280 x 1024 WinEmb SSHC-17Xx WinPro SSHI-17Wx 19" 1280 x 1024 WinEmb SSHC-19Xx WinPro SSHI-19Wx 21.5" 1920 x 1080 WinEmb SSHC-21Xx WinPro SSHI-21Wx
WinCE = Windows7 Compact Embedded
WinEmb = Windows7 Embedded Standard
WinPro = Windows7 Professional for Embedded Systems (FES)
Monitor Port(s) Operating System Catalog Number Data Sheet Store TOP (1) VGA/DVI-D WinCE SSH-0Cx WinEmb SSH-0Xx WinPro SSH-0Wx Linux SSH-0Lx Class 1/Div 2 RatedDVI-D/VGA WinEmb SSH-0ZWx Dual IndependentHDMI & DVI-D/VGA WinPro SSH-0DWx
- SoftPLC Web Studio HMI Data Sheet Common features of all SoftPLC Web Studio HMIs. Specific hardware specifications can be found on each Model's individual data sheet.
- SoftPLC Web Studio Data Sheet Software features of SoftPLC Web Studio and Development system.
- Current Driver/Protocol List
- Features Comparison by Operating System Web Studio features available for each operating system. Some features are limited or not available on embedded O/S.
Demo - Evaluation Software
This evaluation version is a full working product installation that allows up to 40 hours development, and 1 hour runtime each session. A demo application is also included to show the various product features. Product documentation and a tutorial is built into the help system, and supplemental documents such as application notes and communication driver manuals are installed as part of the image.