Communication : Smart Netbox
A Smart Netbox can do all this. . .
- Managed Switch/Router
Routes traffic between two Ethernet networks and handles switching of packets between devices on the network.
- Remote Access Switch (Ethernet Land-line Modem)
Easily and securely access an Ethernet network from any remote location over standard telephone lines.
- Firewall w/ VPN
Protects networked devices from unauthorized access, while providing secure remote and/or networked connections.
- Designed for use in industrial environments
- Compact design uses less than 2 inches of DIN-rail space
- Flexible power requirements 9-24VDC, only 2 Watts
In a networked industrial controls environment, connecting devices like controllers, HMI's, computers, drives, I/O, robots, and serial process control equipment can often become a challenge. Demand for data exchange between sensors, I/O controllers, serial devices, switches, routers, and computers is ever increasing. Compatibility, physical space, cabling and security concerns all add to the difficulties, costs and complexities of typical networking equipment solutions.
A Smart Netbox solves these challenges by combining a number of network support functions into a single industrial low-cost, physically small package.
Setup and configuration of the Smart Netbox is via an included utility program, accessed through an Ethernet port or the serial console.
- (3) LAN and (1) WAN 10/100 Ethernet ports, RJ45
- Fiber optic LAN port (optional)
- 10/100 auto-detecting for speed & duplex (full or half)
- Automatic support for straight or crossed cables
- NAT and Port Forwarding
- Port mirroring/monitoring/sniffing for advanced diagnostics
- VLAN for convenient traffic segregation
- Priority Queuing (QoS/CoS) per port for real-time operation
- IGMP for Multicast filtering (snooping & querying)
- Broadcast storm protection
- Extensive MIB counter management support
- Programmable rate-limiting per port
- Protocols: PPP, DHCP, TFTP, HTTP, Telnet, SSH and more
Smart Netbox Switch/Router Functions
In its most basic configuration, a Smart Netbox is an industrial grade, managed Ethernet switch with both LAN and WAN interfaces to support routing functions. For simple applications, just connect power and Ethernet cables. You can power the Smart Netbox with 9 ~ 48VDC.
Advanced functions provide enhanced performance:
- Combines a four-port managed switch with a 56K modem, enabling a remote connection to devices on your Ethernet network
- Security features help prevent unauthorized access, optional firewall adds even more security
- Provides simultaneous bi-directional communication over the modem (eg: dial-in AND dial-out)
- Perform diagnostics, monitor system status
- Make program changes
- Upload and download application programs or configuration files
- Update firmware
- Collect data
- Receive alarms, email or text messages from the remote system
- Internal PSTN (Public Switched Telephone Network) modem w/ RJ11 connector
- Dial-in and Dial-out capabilities
- PPP (Point to Point Protocol) dial-up connections
- Phone line connection speeds up to 56K
- Remote modem configuration
- Compliant with telephone systems world-wide
- Firewall option to protect control systems from unauthorized access
- Line-in use, remote hang-up detection
- Full data compression and error correction
- Digital Line Guard (DLG) protection
Remote Access Switch
Adding an optional* internal industrial telephone modem (Cat No SM-MDM) to the basic Smart Netbox, creates what is known as a Remote Access Switch (RAS). This allows you to connect to devices on an Ethernet network at a remote location over standard telephone lines.
Save time and money by avoiding costly site visits and being able to respond to situations immediately. From your home, office or another facility, you can easily:
* Modem must be factory installed.
- Stateful inspection firewall security
- Multiple VPN tunnels with fast compression & encryption
- NAT/IP Masquerading
- SYN Denial of Service
- DHCP/BOOTP Server and BOOTP gateway/relay
- Port Forwarding
- License for unlimited, simultaneous users
- Pre-defined configuration templates reduce install time
An embedded Firewall/VPN can be added as a firmware option to any Smart product, including the Smart Netbox. This adds high-end network security, protecting Ethernet-to-Ethernet and modem-to-Ethernet connections such as industrial network to business network, or industrial networks/devices connected to remote sites via the internet. Powerful security features block dangerous and/or unwanted communications from entering your network and restricts access to only authorized users.
|Processor||166 MHz ARM9 CPU, 32-bit|
|User Memory||63 MB RAM|
|Removable Memory||128 MB Compact Flash, expandable to 8GB|
|Operating Temperature||0 to 60°C (-20~70°C extended temperature version available)|
|Storage Temperature||-20 to 85°C|
|Input Voltage Range||9 ~ 36 VDC|
|Real Time Clock||Battery Free, SuperCap backup good for ~60 days|
|GPS Interface||Embedded NTP Server|
|Serial Ports||Standard Ports:
(1) RS-232 w/ full handshake lines, DB9 connector (COM1)
(3) RS-232, 3-wire terminal block (COM2-COM4)
(1) RS-485 2-wire, 3-wire terminal block (COM5)
|Ethernet Ports||4-port managed Ethernet switch, 10/100BaseT RJ45 ports (w/ 2 unique host interfaces/MAC-ID's for routing functions)|
|Dimensions (HxWxD)||5.75 x 6 x 1.5 in. (146.1 x 152.4 x 38.1 mm)|
|Packaging||Fanless/Diskless system, DIN-rail Mount, Metal enclosure
Optional Panel Mount Bracket (SM-VBKT)
|Security||Embedded Gatecraft™ Firewall/VPN option
SSH server for encrypted data transfer
Options & Accessories
The base Smart Netbox is Cat No SM2N. You can add an Embedded Firewall/VPN.
Accessories include power supplies, connectors, etc.
|SM-VBKT||Smart Vertical Panel Mount Bracket|
|SPO-SCKIT||Smart Comm Port Connector Kit|